A mother’s humble, yet magnificent plea marked the beginning of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Bridgeport, through a letter to the Mission Board of the Northern Nebraska District for a pastor to minister to the spiritual needs of her family. This living symbol of what firm religious convictions can accomplish was demonstrated by the appointment of a pastor for part time work in the Bridgeport community and the gradual growth of a congregation.
Her letter brought the Rev. George Weber of Scottsbluff to Bridgeport in the spring of 1943. In addition to maintaining his pastorate at Scottsbluff, Rev. Weber held weekly services on alternate Sundays at the homes of Walter Schmidt, Willie Batterman and Walter Loseke for about six months.
Increased attendance and interest made necessary the use of District C-14 school house. At this time Mrs. Herman Blome and family and the Forrest Turvey families joined the congregation.
In 1944, the congregation made arrangements to use the Episcopal church in Bridgeport for Sunday afternoon services. This arrangement continued until the completion of the first church building was dedicated.
In 1945, the congregation called its first resident pastor, Rev. Alfred Hinz. With his arrival the church grew in membership and organization. In March of 1946, Rev. Hinz accepted a call to a pastorate in Eastern Nebraska, and again Rev. Weber took charge.
It was during this period that plans were formulated, after much serious deliberation, to acquire the congregation’s own place of worship. Under the guidance of Rev. Weber, this plan had become a reality, and construction of the church building was started in the summer of 1947.
Culmination of the faith of the members of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, characterized by work and sacrifice, the first church was dedicated in November, 1947.
Taken from the 25th Anniversary folder